What Are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are thin coatings placed onto the chewing surfaces of molars and premolars. When the sealants are applied, they quickly bond into the grooves of the teeth creating a protective shield over the tooth’s enamel.
Why Do You Need Dental Sealants?
- To protect the chewing surfaces from cavities.
- To protect teeth that are prone to cavities.
- For protecting permanent teeth through the cavity-prone years (age 6-14).
What is the Dental Sealants Application Procedure?
When you go to the dentist who applies dental sealants, there is a specific process for applying thin plastic coatings. Here is the process:
- First, the dentist cleans your teeth thoroughly to eliminate any food debris stuck between your teeth and on the deep pits.
- Next, the dentist dries your teeth and places a piece of cotton in the area to keep your teeth dry.
- The dentist then paints acid etching solution in small amounts on the chewing surfaces of your teeth. The acid roughens up the chewing surfaces to ensure the sealants bond well.
- Rinsing and drying are then done to remove the acid solution.
- The dental sealant is then painted onto the enamel, where it bonds directly to your tooth.
- A special curing light is shined on the applied sealant to harden it.
What is the Cost of Getting Dental Sealants?
You should consult with our dentist in Bridge City, TX, 77611, about how much dental sealant application costs. On average, each tooth sealant costs between $30 and $80, but this depends on which dental clinic you’ll go to.
Furthermore, you should confirm if your insurance covers dental sealant applications. This is essential to make sure everything is clear when it comes to payment.
What are the Benefits of Dental Sealants?
Below are the advantages of getting tooth sealants:
- Dental Sealants Protect against Cavities– these thin coatings are applied on the pits and grooves of teeth covering the area where food debris gets lodged. This additional layer of protection ensures that there is no location for food debris and bacteria to combine, leading to tooth cavities.
- Makes it Easier to Clean Teeth by Reducing Grooves– as mentioned earlier, dental sealants are applied on the deep depression and grooves of molars and premolars. Before application, it can be challenging to clean your teeth due to the pits on your teeth. The good news is that with sealants in place, teeth can be cleaned more efficiently.
- They’re Long-lasting– sealants are usually recommended for teenagers because they protect their teeth for years against tooth cavities and decay. However, proper oral hygiene and habits should be observed to ensure that the sealants last for long. Additionally, routine dental visits at our dentist at 77611 are imperative so that he can check the sealants and repair or reapply the sealants.
- Sealant Application is Quick, Painless and Non-invasive– the procedure of applying dental sealants is simple compared to other dental procedures. Moreover, sealant application is non-invasive; therefore, you will not experience tooth sensitivity, a common side effect of many dental procedures.
- Dental Sealants Save You Money– sealants can save you money in the long run. For instance, if your teeth are sealed, it prevents the buildup of plaque and tooth decay. In addition, protecting your teeth against cavities will save you a lot of money in the long run, as other dental procedures like root canal and dental crown placement are more expensive than sealant application.
Get Dental Sealants Near You
Dental sealants are essential in protecting your teeth and your kid’s teeth against cavities. Are you looking to get tooth sealants near Orangefield? Contact Edgerly Dentistry now to get dental sealants in Bridge City, TX. We have qualified dental professionals who will examine your teeth, clean them, look for any oral diseases and apply these thin coatings to protect your teeth from cavities and tooth decay.